Hi Alex,

I think Jewel born from Basic and started doing the same as Basic do in
order to develop the view, CSS, etc... then is evolving to something that
is usable directly. For example: in the beginning there was Button and
TextButton like in Basic, then I find that only Button (with text property)
was needed since is what we already use it 99% of the time. In the other
hand, things like "Disabled" is already written as a bead since is a
behavior that is needed sometimes. I'm trying to balance so maybe the
response is that is not white, but is not back. So I think is not exactly a
Express set when all is preconfigured. I must say that I'm still learning
from developing Jewel and I'm testing things and sometimes I refactor to
what seems a better solution. In the end I use to think in how the code
finaly looks, and if is usable, flexible and how simple is to write it. So
like in many other fields, iteration over an idea and decision based on
empiric testing use to end in the best solution.

I think Express use to tend mostly to what Flex was, and I think not all in
flex was good, so I hope Jewel could get some things equal, but be better
in other fields. For example, I never liked Validation in Flex, I think is
too tied to the view controls, while Validation should validate date, so be
tied to models instead. As well loved the way this was implemented in
GraniteDS with Metadata, maybe this could be bring to Jewel in bead form,
we'll see when we come to that point.

Other case I'm finding now is for example how to deal with incoming
collections from a Server. In Basic List controls manage ICollectionView,
so we can do what we did in Flex storing data in ArrayLists or instead,
store in simple Array and then making a SingleSelectionArrayListModel,
since normaly that would be what people will use. So people can plug
directly their Array to list.dataprovider, and the control will knows how
to consume the Array. In this case Jewel can give a preselected bead
configuration that should be the use in mostly all cases, since the actual
SingleSelectionCollectionViewModel in Basic is not usable unless
application developers store make a conversion of the incoming Array to
ArrayList to feed the control.

So, in resume I think Jewel is right now in a middle step between Basic and
Express in terms of low-high configuration