I've seen some flakiness with this in the past.  Some things that could
help is: after starting the app in the browser, open the developer console,
then go back to VS and hit the reload button.  That should activate the
debugger.

Another thing, is try using Chrome as your browser?

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Om