You might be running into this issue (Debugger will not stop at breakpoints on
startup with Apache Royale):

https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas/wiki/Common-issues#debugger-will-not-stop-at-breakpoints-on-startup-with-apache-royale

It seems like VSCode can't connect with the browser's debugger protocol fast
enough to register the breakpoint before the startup code has already finished
running.

A good way to check if you're running into this issue is to add some kind of
click listener with a breakpoint. By the time you can interact with the app,
the debugger should be fully connected.

- Josh