Geee ... why does everything have to go around in circles here? Is it always
about having the last word? At least it feels this way.
(and yes, by replying I'm participating. I do see that, but I just wanted to
get back on track ... and having started the discussion I felt I should)

In this case I think it doesn't matter how SHOULD should be interpreted and
what any official rules are.

If you write: "the vote will stay open for 72 hours" ... well then you
shouldn't close it early IMHO no matter what reasons.
If you write in the VOTE email "the vote will stay open for as long as it takes
to get a majority of active PMCs to vote" then you probably don't have to.
Otherwise I'd just strip the "the vote will stay open for 72 hours" from the
VOTE email, if you're not planning on respecting it.

But I guess it's me being a German ... you can't imagine how things escalate
here if a Bus arrives (and leaves) the bus stop a few seconds too early.
A fresh toilet paper delivery at the local supermarket is nothing compared to
that ;-)

Chris