Some of my earlier changes made it safe to use public variables instead of
getters/setters, at least with the compiler defaults. With certain
combinations of compiler options, it is possible to make it unsafe again,
though.

If you decided to use -export-public-symbols=true and
-prevent-rename-public-symbols=false together, for some reason (this
wouldn't be common), that would make public variables unsafe to use again.
Closure compiler would make a separate copy of the variable with that
combination, which was the original issue that caused us to add the
warning. A copy is not made for getters and setters, so that's why that
advice became common. When you prevent renaming, Closure is forced to use
the original variable when exporting, so there is no copy, and it's safe.

--
Josh Tynjala
Bowler Hat LLC <https://bowlerhat.dev>