I was keen at one point to move forward to 1.0 as well. But I feel we
probably need to do something a bit more thorough in terms of reviewing
whether things are ready or not, so that we release 1.0 without any
major concerns in terms of Apache's reputation etc. Perhaps I am
overthinking that... perhaps '1.0' is not such a big deal in terms of being
different to '0.x'

Example:
We discussed at one point the potential security risks associated with
using innerHTML in some code, for example and that other frameworks avoid
that (React requires that a dev use a method called dangerouslySetInnerHTML
or something like that). The risk is not high of exploiting that perhaps,
but it is not considered best practice to do that and for some formal
security audits, I believe it would cause an application built with Royale
to fail. At the time of the earlier discussions there was no outcome aside
from general agreement that we don't cause applications to be vulnerable,
iirc. So for things like this, I think it would be good to sort of have our
own 'audit' relative to best practices/other frameworks (and I don't know
what all of those are).
Like I said, maybe I am overthinking it.... happy to run with whatever
others decide in the end.