Hi Yi,

As I understand rules and re-writes basically do the same thing
(changing/re-writing the operator tree). But in case of rules this happens
during planning based on the query planner configuration. And re-writing is
done on the planner output, after the query goes through the planner. In
Calcite re-write is happening inside the interpreter and in our case it
will be inside the query plan to operator router conversion phase.

Thanks
Milinda