Hi, Milinda,

We have recently some discussions on the MillWheel model:
http://www.infoq.com/presentations/millwheel.

It is very interesting talk and have one striking point that we did not
think about before: handle late arrivals as a "correction" to the earlier
results. Hence, if we follow that model, the late arrival problem that you
described can be addressed in the following:

a) Each window will have a closing policy: it would either be wall-clock
based timeout, or the arrival of messages indicating that we have received
all messages in the corresponding event time window
b) Each window also keeps all the past messages it receives in the past
windows, up to a large retention size that covers all possible late arrivals
c) When a window's closing policy is satisfied, the window operator always
emits the current window results
d) When a late arrival message came, the window operator will re-emit the
past window results to correct the previous window results

In your example, the aggregation for the counter for window from
10:00-10:59 will have a "wrong" value when the window is closed by an
arrival of message w/ 11:00 timestamp, but will be corrected later by a
late arrival of another message in the time window from 10:00-10:59. I.e.
if we keep all the previous window states, late arrival messages will
simply trigger a re-computation of the aggregated counter for the window
10:00-10:59 and overwrite the previous result. In this model, the final
result is always correct, as long as the late arrivals is within the large
retention size.

I have been thinking of this model and had a discussion with Julian
yesterday. It seems that the followings are more reasonable to me:
1) Window operator will have a full buffered state of the stream similar to
a time-varying materialized view over the retention size
2) Window size and termination (i.e. sliding/tumbling/hopping windows) will
now determine when we emit window results (i.e. new messages/updates to the
current window) to the downstream operator s.t. the operators can calculate
result in time
3) Late arrivals will be sent to the downstream operator and triggers a
re-computation of the past result based on the full buffered state

In the above model, the window operator becomes a system feature, or an
implementation of "StreamScan" in Calcite's term. And we do not need
specific language support for the window semantics, with a default time
window operator implementation that serves as a "StreamScan".  All window
definition in the query language now only dictates the semantic meaning of
aggregation and join on top of the physical window operator which provides:
a) a varying/growing materialized view; b) a driver that tells the
aggregation/join to compute/re-compute results on-top-of the materialized
view.