{quote}
maintained in a separate repository and retaining the existing
committership but sharing as much else as possible (website, etc)
{quote}

Overall, I agree on this idea. Now the question is more about "how to do
it".

On the other hand, one thing I want to point out is that, if we decide to
go this way, how do we want to support
otherSystem-transformation-otherSystem use case?

Basically, there are four user groups here:

1. Kafka-transformation-Kafka
2. Kafka-transformation-otherSystem
3. otherSystem-transformation-Kafka
4. otherSystem-transformation-otherSystem

For group 1, they can easily use the new Samza library to achieve. For
group 2 and 3, they can use copyCat -> transformation -> Kafka or Kafka->
transformation -> copyCat.

The problem is for group 4. Do we want to abandon this or still support it?
Of course, this use case can be achieved by using copyCat -> transformation
-> Kafka -> transformation -> copyCat, the thing is how we persuade them to
do this long chain. If yes, it will also be a win for Kafka too. Or if
there is no one in this community actually doing this so far, maybe ok to
not support the group 4 directly.

Thanks,

Fang, Yan
yanfang...@gmail.com