Hey Yan,

Yeah philosophically I think the argument is that you should capture the
stream in Kafka independent of the transformation. This is obviously a
Kafka-centric view point.

Advantages of this:
- In practice I think this is what e.g. Storm people often end up doing
anyway. You usually need to throttle any access to a live serving database.
- Can have multiple subscribers and they get the same thing without
additional load on the source system.
- Applications can tap into the stream if need be by subscribing.
- You can debug your transformation by tailing the Kafka topic with the
console consumer
- Can tee off the same data stream for batch analysis or Lambda arch style
re-processing

The disadvantage is that it will use Kafka resources. But the idea is
eventually you will have multiple subscribers to any data source (at least
for monitoring) so you will end up there soon enough anyway.

Down the road the technical benefit is that I think it gives us a good path
towards end-to-end exactly once semantics from source to destination.
Basically the connectors need to support idempotence when talking to Kafka
and we need the transactional write feature in Kafka to make the
transformation atomic. This is actually pretty doable if you separate
connector=>kafka problem from the generic transformations which are always
kafka=>kafka. However I think it is quite impossible to do in a all_things
=> all_things environment. Today you can say "well the semantics of the
Samza APIs depend on the connectors you use" but it is actually worse then
that because the semantics actually depend on the pairing of connectors--so
not only can you probably not get a usable "exactly once" guarantee
end-to-end it can actually be quite hard to reverse engineer what property
(if any) your end-to-end flow has if you have heterogenous systems.

-Jay