Hi everyone,

After doing some reading and also contacting Simon Urbanek (the creator of
Rserve), he told me the problem lies in how R uses seed values for random
numbers. If I actually take the time to call set.seed() with some value and
then call rnorm() or a similar random variable, the values do become
different. I wrote a bit about it here:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/R_and_Calc_Documentation#Random_Numbers

My platform for development is Linux, but now that I moved to Windows XP to
test the package, calling rnorm() for me on this OS does not actually yield
the same number over and over again.

I'm a bit concern about how some of the functionality seems to change as
above, but I guess that's what testing and debugging is for. :)

Thanks,
Wojciech

On 6/4/07, Eike Rathke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Leonard,

On Monday, 2007-06-04 11:38:11 +0200, Leonard Mada wrote:

> I believe this is more a Calc issue. IF I understad correctly, Calc
> tries to cache information and already calculated values. So, IF Calc
> encounters the same formula a 2nd time, then it possibly never runs
> the funciton again, BUT rather outputs the value from the Cache.

As Niklas already wrote last week in a reply to Wojciech, that is not
the case. If the function is called from different cells, no caching is
done by Calc. Also several calls within one cell formula are evaluated
independently. Only the formula result is cached for each cell
separately and reused if there was no need to flag the cell as dirty,
for example when cells changed that are referenced in the formula.

Wojciech, are you sure your code doesn't "cache" the R result, for
example by accessing it through a static variable before passing it to
Calc?

  Eike

--
OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter stricken i18n
transpositionizer.
OpenOffice.org Engineering at Sun: http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS
Please don't send personal mail to this [EMAIL PROTECTED] account, which I use
for
mailing lists only and don't read from outside Sun. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]




--

Five Minutes to Midnight:
Youth on human rights and current affairs
http://www.fiveminutestomidnight.org/

Reply via email to