@Lewis

Some more info, but out of the order in which you asked:

>> session reconstruction e.g. What does an end-to-end browning session
>> look like?

Browsing session reconstruction defines a good amount of the work we’re doing
now and for the remainder of the year on a number of projects. We’re actually
already working on this now, and it will be the basis of a ton more work that
will start mid-late June.

What our solution looks like is UserALE.js packaged in a FireFox browser
plugin. The plugin drops UserALE.js into the client without having to touch
source code. So, you can get all the data you’d expect from UserALE.js, but be
able to capture data from sites that UserALE.js script tags haven’t been
embedded in (the source code). The use case is that orgs and users can just
deploy a browser that captures userALE logs with disc images—bam. Chris Muto
(new contributor) built a prototype. @fordar is picking that project up and
resolving some of the major/obvious issues like mixed media/CORS issues. You’ll
see this code in the UserALE.js repo probably next week when @fordar get’s his
bearings.

>> what type of client e.g. Firefox, safari, etc

Plugin will be FireFox to start. But FireFox and Chrome are playing nice in
plugin portability… Once the plugin is in the .js repo, feel free to reach out
or combine forces with @fordar if you know of someone that needs this very
soon.

>>  heatmap generation representing user activity overlaid over Webpage
>> * dot plotting similar to the above

First... what Rob said

Second, I actually have some tickets to move over to Apache Jira about
investigations of open source code for grabbing screen caps from browsers. If
we can coregister those screens with cursor x,y, then heat maps should be a
snap (if you can deal with pushing around and storing those screen caps). The
browser plugin logging solution will also make this easier, building off the
plugin should give us more data available to the client.

Next week, I’ll get my investigation tix moved over (going on short vacation
tomorrow—back next week). Unlikely we’ll have a ton of bandwidth (as a team) to
work on heat maps specifically in the next month or two. However, later this
year we’ll be focusing very hard on visualization and TAP. Something like heat
maps are a big part of that, but I can’t talk about that with specifics yet.
@lmariano is very interested in this, but she can’t talk specifics yet either.

Again, comprehensive browsing session capture is a major theme for us this
year. A number of us will be under contract to do some of this work and it will
all be Apache. If you know of other interested parties, let’s talk offline so
that we can coordinate sooner than later. Things will start percolating up to
our roadmap pretty soon.

>> * ability to see where people visiting your webpage/webapp came from e.g
>> where did the client come from?

No immediate plans to do this. No current capability to capture
origin/destination data, but likely something that could be deployable through
the script tag. We should have some wish list tix on this. The browser plugin
deployment use case will drive a lot of upgrades to UserALE.js that will push
this along. Of course, we’ll get this data from the client easy, but the
“visiting your website” deployment is different than the “websites you visit”
use case the browser plugin supports.

I hope that helps, too.