+1 for both.

I would be still against actually allowing Java 8 specific code since
people may want to backport fixes to old releases which might still use
Java 7. Allowing Java-8 exclusive features may make this process
complicated. Lambdas are cute, but we can do without them for a while. It
would be good to have some automatic enforcement so that Java8 features do
not leak in accidentally.