+1 to switch to JDK 8 + Datanucleus 4.

Alex, I'm just wondering how likely it is that we will run into these
backporting scenarios? If I look at the past releases I don't see too many
minor releases:

[DIR] 1.2.0-incubating/       2016-04-06 17:49    -
[DIR] 1.3.0-incubating/       2016-04-06 17:49    -
[DIR] 1.4.0-incubating/       2016-04-06 17:49    -
[DIR] 1.5.1-incubating/       2016-04-06 17:49    -
[DIR] 1.6.0-incubating/       2016-04-06 17:49    -
[DIR] 1.7.0/                  2017-06-26 18:46    -
[DIR] 1.8.0/

It seems a bit limiting not to allow lambdas to me given that we don't
maintain active older release branches.

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh