Hello, fellow Austin-ite!

In the past, serf had three separate build systems: custom, autoconf, and
[Windows] Make. We got rid of all of those systems, and went with a
singular replacement: SCons. Yeah, it kinda sucks that HP-UX doesn't have
very good support to bootstrap this build environment. But over the past
fifteen years, serf has tried them all. Maintaining multiple systems was
much more difficult than consolidating around SCons (and its own
particularities).

Switching to an autoconf-based system leaves out Windows developers, so it
is kind of a non-starter.

Cheers,
-g