From: Stefan Sperling [mailto:s...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 3:20 PM
To: Michael Schultz <michael.schu...@microfocus.com>
Cc: Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>; dev@serf.apache.org
Subject: Re: Please consider dropping scons

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 02:38:20PM +0000, Michael Schultz wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Sadly, this is the sort of response that I expected. I had never heard
> of SCons before running into this, and I never expect to run into it
> again. I must admit that I must wonder if isn’t some sort of campaign
> to force people to use something that the Serf developers consider a
> superior solution, whether other people like it or not.

Have you considered writing a Makefile which builds the C code on your platform
and doesn't rely on external tools the platform lacks?
That's still a lot of work but might be easier than building scons and all that
entails. Ivan has already said that he does essentially the same on Windows and
doesn't rely on scons.

I would also prefer if serf used something other than scons but at this point
it is water under the bridge. I was in a similar situation on OpenBSD where
scons did not support building shared libraries correctly.
I ended up sending patches to scons upstream to fix my problems.