On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:33 PM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks, Justin. I don't know if we need another 1.3.x release, given
> that 1.4 will be API compatible and has more robust OpenSSL 1.1.x and
> LibreSSL support.

My preference would be to just do a small 1.3.x release out with critical
build/test fixes; but, if I'm alone and folks want to jump to a 1.4.0 and
the downstream packagers are fine with upgrading to that, I can be
convinced to just skip and go to 1.4.0; but, there's probably a longer
turnaround for getting 1.4.0 out the door though.

> For 1.4, we have (had? not quite up to date here...) the proposed Python
> 3 fixes which I'd treat as mandatory. The CMake build doesn't support
> BROTLI and GSSAPI yet, but that's not a blocker for the release IMO. A
> bulk merge to the 1.4.x branch would make sense, too; I don't think we
> have to go through STATUS for the minor improvements currently on trunk.

Given the activity on the project, I'm kind of the mindset that we shift to
having all of our branches be CTR and just require 3 +1s on a release
rather than doing every patchset on a one-off basis in STATUS or whatnot.

What do folks think of that shift?

Cheers.  -- justin