On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 1:10 PM Ivan Zhakov <i...@visualsvn.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 at 23:13, Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 2:33 PM Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, Justin. I don't know if we need another 1.3.x release, given
> > > that 1.4 will be API compatible and has more robust OpenSSL 1.1.x and
> > > LibreSSL support.
> > >

> > My preference would be to just do a small 1.3.x release out with critical
> > build/test fixes; but, if I'm alone and folks want to jump to a 1.4.0 and
> > the downstream packagers are fine with upgrading to that, I can be
> > convinced to just skip and go to 1.4.0; but, there's probably a longer
> > turnaround for getting 1.4.0 out the door though.
> >
> +1.

Given the upstream OpenSSL reversion, I think I'm now leaning towards just
focusing on a 1.4.0 release.

I went through the motions of trying out the CMake process on Windows - I
got lost a bit in the dependency chain, but it does seem promising.
(Expat, APR, APR-util are all on CMake now; OpenSSL isn't quite yet,
AFAICT.)

On a related note, I'm intrigued in expressing the dependency chain via
Buildstream - which is going to be moving over to Apache (via Petri):

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/buildstream-list/2020-April/msg00010.html

At a high-level, the new CMake build system would stay the same, but
there'd be a set of files to help bootstrap the build process for beginners
and downstream package maintainers.  I could see that benefiting APR,
APR-util, httpd, and Subversion too...so, I think I'm going to take a pass
at trying to see what that'd look like.  That would make me a bit more
comfortable about the switch to CMake for 1.4.0.  Here's an example of a
Buildstream repos for Apache Arrow (which is similarly complex):

https://gitlab.com/BenjaminSchubert/apache-arrow-build-buildstream-demo-2019

Cheers.  -- justin