On Apr 23, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Ceki Gulcu wrote:

Ralph Goers wrote:
Also, As that message says I added the documentation for the two classes. The email you quoted was from almost 2 months ago. I had expected to get feedback on this long before this and had come to the conclusion that there was no objection.

The code was committed for the sake of discussion but there was none. I am simply asking whether you still feel the EventData class is still warranted to be part of the slf4j-ext package. When do you convert XML data back to EventData? Do you actually perform such conversions?

Yes, I think EventData and EventLogger are useful. I am recommending all my projects use it. The answer to when the EventData is converted back is "it depends". It can be stored in a database as is and then converted back when a reader wants to manipulate the event data as a HashMap. It can be converted back in a layout so that it can be manipulated as part of the pattern similar to how the MDC is accessed - I imagine it wouldn't be hard to create a converter for Logback that could be used in the PatternLayout. But specifically when it needs to be converted depends on the Appender in use and what the desired output should be.

We have been struggling trying to find a good solution for aggregating all our event/audit/activity logging across the servers and network segments. Using EventData and EventLogger has freed us up from having to worry about what the final product ends up being as our applications are now insensitive to it. We can just plug in a new Appender (or possibly leverage an existing Appender with a pattern layout) and go.

Ralph