Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In our commercial CMS application we have a mechanism where we separate
> authoring instances (where content authors fill in content) from
> publishing instances (where internet surfers hit). Content authors can
> validate the content before publishing it to the publishing instances.
>
> This all works well, except for configuration stored in the /etc/map
> structure to configure the URL to Resource mapping of the Resource Resolver.
>
> The problem is that we cannot prepare this configuration on the
> authoring instance without affecting the operation of the authoring
> instance. The reason for this is that the /etc/map location is currently
> fixed and cannot be configured.
>
> To overcome this limitation two options come to my mind:
>
> (O1) Make /etc/map location configurable
>
> This enables us to configure the /etc/map location and configure a
> publishing instance specific structure on the author instance.
>

> (O2) Add support for RunModes
>
> Our CMS system leverages the RunMode service from
> contrib/extensions/runmode to detect whether the system is running as an
> authoring or a publishing instance.
>
> So, we could enhance the entries in the /etc/map structure to optionally
> provide a sling:runmode property (single- or multi-value string type).
> If such a property is set, the entry is only used if the
> RunMode.isActive(String[]) returns true.
>

> WDYT of such extensions ?

It would be nice if we can find a solution which does not add a
dependency from the jcr resource module to the run modes - run modes
should really be an optional thing.

I don't have a very good idea atm, but I think some IoC solution could
solve this. Instead letting the resolver look for the configurations,
they should be provided by someone.