On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Ian Boston <i...@tfd.co.uk> wrote:
>>> The data protection policy that is driving this is that, we have 50K users,
>>> all with user ID's we have to
> prevent anyone from getting a list of the user ID's, but still allow someone
> who knows the user ID to access
> the content. Its the same as the UserDir module in Apache httpd ie /~ieb

The best might then be to reproduce that using a UserDir servlet?

Keep restricted permissions on the real /_user path, and map this
UserDir servlet to the /home/~* so that it can internally map paths
like /home/~ieb/foo/bar.pdf to /_user/ieb/foo/bar.pdf while not
exposing more than needed.

The next problem then is mapping that to WebDAV operations, might be
more problematic. But IIUC this access is read-only anyway, so just
HTTP might be sufficient.

-Bertrand