If your going to go this far, would it be worth looking at using Karaf as the
basis of the launchpad? Given this functionality is already provided out of the
box, with many other benefits.

This is how we deploy all our sling instances, in a Karaf instance, either
standalone or in a WAR. It is worth noting though, due to the nature of URL
protocol registration, you can only register the mvn protocol provided by PAX
in a JVM once. This has the side effect of only being able to deploy 1 instance
of an embedded Karaf WAR into another container once.

-- Mike