Hi Justin,

(and this will address Ian's comments as well )

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 20:16 -0400, Justin Edelson wrote:
> Hi,
> I would strongly suggest that this effort be based on VLT. As mentioned on
> the wiki page, we're in the process of moving that to ASF and I think once
> the code is available, it will be clear that it provides a good low-level
> interface for this type of UI.

I have not yet reviewed how embeddable VLT is, but it's hard to believe
that it will be a perfect match for both the IntelliJ and Eclipse plugin
APIs. As I noted, you should not directly read from/write to the
filesystem in Eclipse ( and I expect IntelliJ to have similar
requirements ) for both user experience ( stale workspace resources )
and performance ( forced refresh of resources from disk ) reasons.

As such, we will need a wrapper over VLT anyway to make this API
IDE-friendly. So there's no large effort to have transport API layer.

Also, echoing Antonio's and Carsten's comments, I think that while VLT
is a powerful and mature tool, it does not work on top of the resource
API that we have in sling.

We already have a MongoDB resource provider in contrib [1]  and a GSoC
project accepted which will create an Apache Cassandra resource provider
[2]. A resource-based transport implementation will help us make those
implementations first-class citizens.

(snip...)

> Separately, I'm going to start a child page of this wiki page to gather use
> cases. There are some functional areas listed on the main page, but I think
> we should try to capture individual use cases.

+1

Robert

[1]:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/sling/trunk/contrib/extensions/mongodb/