I updated the wiki page at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SLING/Health+Checks+Executor+Design with API Variant B: It is mostly in line with the current version in SVN with the two changes I already suggested. Carsten, WDYT?

That might work...OTOH I want to have the execution timeout specified
in the execute call, as being able to change it is very useful when
troubleshooting things from the webconsole.

I don't think it is that useful to be able to specify a timeout in the web console HC plugin for the following reasons: * Health check futures are never canceled, they always keep running until they are finished even if the executor returns a timeout => it is possible to set the log level of the HC to debug and check the log file even after the web console returned a timeout * If there is trouble, it is usually necessary to have a look at the proper log files anyway (for instance, a HC result is currently not capable of carrying an exception) * If really a longer timeout is needed, it is always possible to configure a higher timeout in the OSGi config of the HealthCheckExecutor (this is always possible in DEV/TEST envs)

-Georg