Hi,

I would like to discuss a potential implementation of the Sling Discovery
APIs over an eventually consistent distributed storages such as AWS S3.
Assuming the instances being part of the topology runs in AWS, then we
could leverage AWS APIs and service in order to implement the Discovery
mechanism.

The discovery of instances could be implemented implicitely using EC2 REST
API [0] without sending heartbeats, the properties for each instance could
be stored in AWS S3 and distributed eventually, the leader election could
be implemented with [1] or similar.

The benefits (over Sling impl) would be
* Arguably the highest availablity we can get from the environment
* Reduced bandwith consumption (no hearthbeats)
* Environment specific informations is implicitely distributed (local ip,
external ip, hostname, region, etc.)

Of course, it would bind the implementation to an environment (AWS in this
case), however I believe we could apply the same mechanism to other
eventually consistent storage.

Wdyt ? Is this something that would be valuable for Sling ?

Regards,

Timothee

[0]
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/APIReference/ApiReference-query-DescribeInstances.html