On Monday 28 July 2014 14:56:03 Robert Munteanu wrote:

> >> Well, which part do you think would be half-baked if we simply release
> >> everything as is. I think most of the bundles (if not all) are in a
> >> pretty good shape right now.
> >
> > Sorry if it sounded to harsh. Some points which come to my mind:
> > - we don't have full support for Java 8

hi Robert,

> I looked in Jira for related issues but found nothing [1] . What are
> we missing for Java 8?

trunk doesn't compile with Java 8 (test failures, ASM issue). Can you set up a
build job for trunk with 8?

> > - SLING-3575 failing test with newer Jackrabbit
>
> It would be good if you added more details about the test failure to
> the issue. This would allow others beside the issue reporter to chime
> in and maybe propose a fix.

please see also the latest comments in SLING-3479

> > - the versions of Commons Threads for the Event bundle used at compile
> > and runtime are not compatible
>
> I'm not sure what the problem is here. In
> launchpad/builder/src/main/bundles/list.xml I see
>
>         <bundle>
>             <groupId>org.apache.sling</groupId>
>             <artifactId>org.apache.sling.commons.threads</artifactId>
>             <version>3.2.0</version>
>         </bundle>
>
>         <bundle>
>             <groupId>org.apache.sling</groupId>
>             <artifactId>org.apache.sling.event</artifactId>
>             <version>3.3.10</version>
>         </bundle>
>
> And in bundles/extensions/event/pom.xml
>
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>org.apache.sling</groupId>
>             <artifactId>org.apache.sling.commons.threads</artifactId>
>             <version>3.1.0</version>
>             <scope>provided</scope>
>         </dependency>
>
> I don't see any incompatibilities in there. In any case, if you see
> problems related to that setup please file a Jira with an explanation
> so that it's not forgotten in this email thread.

I will have a look after my holidays.

> > - SLING-3008 looks still problematic
>
> Is the issue that we have a code block that can be removed? I don't
> see that as a launchpad release blocker.

The problem is an incompatible JSON response due to this code block which I
noticed when querying users. It may happen else where.

> > - lack of documentation, major changes between 6 and 7, upgrade paths
>
> That sounds like a general issue that I agree with. But then again,
> not releasing while waiting for documentation is not bringing any
> value IMO. What's important is that we get a release which supports
> non-ancient Java versions out for developers to try out. We can talk
> later when we have people complaining about upgrade paths :-) .
>
> In my (limited) experience, people build their own bundle lists
> anyway, the launchpad is just a way to quickly get one's hands dirty
> with Sling.

Yes. But users also expect a major release to be "stable". Something they can
build on.

> > - Oak integration not on par with Jackrabbit (failing tests)
>
> Right, at the moment we have two failing ITs for Oak ( [2] ). However,
> we can simply release with Jackrabbit as the default runmode, and look
> into those later.

Please search for JackrabbitOnly.class which will bring up several more tests
which are disabled for Oak.

> > I don't see any real value in releasing a *major* 7 now "as is" and then
> > plan any future releases and how to improve the release process. If it
> > takes even more time to get a major release out which can be used as
> > good basis for future releases than so it be even if it takes more weeks
> > or months.
> >
> > If the effort for releasing major versions is to high we should maybe
> > switch to a rolling release model where we maintain a list with released
> > and compatible bundles.
>
> We can discuss that for Launchpad 8 or 7.1 or 2014.1 or whatever we
> decide to call it. But I think it's important to get version 7 out as
> soon as we can.

Can you create a wiki page with tasks to be done or tag issues which need to
be fixed for 7 so every developer can pick from?

Thanks,
O.