In the past there was only one service for scheduling jobs [1] (completely
independent of Sling Jobs). Since Sling 7 it is even possible to schedule Sling
Jobs itself (which are persisted in the repository and may be distributed in a
cluster) [2].
It would be really nice to have some documentation about the latter in [3] and
also to have some insights on when it is recommended to use which approach. I
understand that the scheduler service is more lightweight because it does not
persist anything in the repo. I would be in favour of deprecating [1] and
recommend everyone to only use Sling Jobs instead, then there is only one API
left for scheduled jobs.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Konrad