Some more updates:
The Sling Jobs Scheduler was contributed with
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3028
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-3028> initially.

The relationship of Job Queues and the Job Scheduler are not clear to me
though. It seems that the scheduled jobs are only executed in a dedicated
single thread and have no relationship with Sling Job Queues at all. Can
someone confirm this?
Thanks,
Konrad