I think we should include some hints which markdown format is supposed to be
used.
Currently I guess it is only
https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax but in the future once
flexmark-java is included it is ought to be http://spec.commonmark.org/0.28/ or
whatever version is current and supported by flexmark-java at that point in
time.

The whole section at
https://sling.apache.org/ng/documentation.html#how-the-documentation-is-generated
 needs to be extended with at least the following information
- the exact markdown syntax/spec with references
- only markdown files should be used
- how to locally generate the site

For me the TOC limitation though is quite severe, because for larger pages like
http://sling.apache.org/documentation/bundles/models.html the TOC is kind of
crucial. Without it it is hard to find the right information.
So to be honest I am not sure we should already migrate before the TOC support
has been added.
It seems that the support for flexmark-java is only supposed to land in JBake
2.7.0 which is the version after the next version (so rather far away in the
future).

Have you guys considered switching from MD to AsciDoc which already has native
TOC support in JBake.
Don't know how feasible it is to migrate the existing MD files though...

Konrad