Hi Carsten

This looks very interesting!

Regarding the format, have you considered YAML? It is a superset of
JSON (well, it's designed to also support JSON syntax) and it allows
comments out of the box. Furthermore, it's well specified (in contrast
to JSON with comments). I assume that using YAML, people could choose
whether they want to write it more JSOn style or YAML style.

Regards
Julian