Yes, that is documented at https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/ .

> > - making github the preferred push repository makes me more
> > confident
> > that we won't have any conflicts due to merging pull requests
>
> not sure how ASF gitbox and Github are syncing exactly and what
> happens in case of conflicts. Do you have any source available which
> explains the process more in detail? Also to me it is not clear which
> URL to include there: SSH based or HTTPS based?

Unfortunately no, that this is part of why I support one definite
'master' git repo to use.

I would favour HTTPS as it's probably not filtered anywhere, whereas
SSH is sometimes blocked by firewalls.

> > - automation is more readily available with github rather than
> > gitbox
> > and we may choose to add more automation in the future
>
> you are probably referring to the Github API for which there is no
> alternative on the ASF side. I agree with that as well. Also having
> SSH authentication available at Github is a big pro (but should not
> be required for publishing the sling site though)

Yes, agreed, we should not require SSH for publishing.

> But please also consider the other points:
> >
> > Also, pushing to github is a supported setup, this was why we
> > decided
> > to go with gitbox in the first place [1]. Pushing to the ASF repos
> > sort
> > of defeats the purpose of that.
>
> Don't agree with that. Pushing to ASF repos does not prevent anyone
> from using the Github repos.
> It is just less obvious that you can also use Github.

That circles back to how stable we think the dual-master setup is. Yes,
we can try and use gitbox as a canonical repository and use Github as a
remote only when needed.

> The main question to me is: how stable do we consider each of the two
> repos?
> IMHO the gitbox repo URL is much more stable as Github could
> theoretically end at any point in time the collaboration with the ASF
> and just would no longer provide that service for free. Modifying the
> documentation and poms afterwards would be a big hassle.
>
> I guess providing Maven artifacts not only via Maven Central but
> primarily through the ASF dist server is a very similar requirement (
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#distribution).
> What do others think?

My recollection is that the dual system is approved since a push to
Github is automatically replicated to ASF servers - the source still
lives on the ASF repos.

-----

Anyway, my understanding of what we aim to do might be wrong and since
no one else seems to desire a canonical Github URL I'll switch the
sling-site repo to publish via gitbox later today or early tomorrow.