Ok, I think I've got this now. jars from the mavenLocal() repo are used
in-place by gradle, and not cached in `${gradle.lib.dir}`. This requires a
security policy addition to
`gradle/testing/randomization/policies/solr-tests.policy`:

 grant {
   // Allow reading gradle worker JAR.
   permission java.io.FilePermission "${gradle.worker.jar}", "read";
   // Allow reading from classpath JARs (resources).
   permission java.io.FilePermission "${gradle.user.home}${/}-", "read";
+  // Allow reading lucene jars from mavenLocal repository
+  permission java.io.FilePermission
"${user.home}${/}.m2${/}repository${/}org${/}apache${/}lucene${/}-", "read";
 };

This, along with the addition of the mavenLocal() repo and the change to
"9.0.0-SNAPSHOT" lucene version in versions.props (and subsequent update of
versions.lock file via `gradlew --write-locks`), does the trick.

If I were to take a crack at documenting this workflow, any ideas on the
best place to do so?

Michael