On 11/4/21 2:51 PM, Noble Paul wrote:
The SIP can be boiled down to the following

* *Tag a node with a label (role) using a system property*
** Use the placement plugin to whitelist/block list certain nodes*
** Publish the roles through an API*

In general, for Solr, do we like the idea of having things controlled by system properties?

I would think solr.xml would be the right place to configure this, except that people can and probably do put solr.xml in zookeeper, which would mean every system would have the SAME solr.xml, and we're back to system properties as a way to customize solr.xml on each system.

I have never used system properties to configure Solr.  When I customize the config, I will often remove property substitutions from it and go with explicit settings.  My general opinion about system properties is that if they're going to be used, they should DIRECTLY configure the application, not be sent in via property substitution in a config file.  I've never liked the way our default configs use that paradigm.  It means you cannot look at the config and know exactly how things are configured, without finding out whether system properties have been set.

What color do others think that bikeshed should be painted?

Thanks,
Shawn