On 7/26/22 12:49, David Smiley wrote:
FYIhttps://github.com/docker-library/docs/pull/2162#issuecomment-1194542898

Essentially, the "openjdk" image isn't maintained anymore, and we ought to
pick an alternative.  There are support implications because image
suppliers/variants have OS or other quirks as to what is included.  I
haven't researched the alternatives yet but compatibility is paramount
because Solr 8 is the previous release and we wouldn't want to do anything
disruptive.
I glanced at two of the suggested alternatives.  One was amazon-correto, the other was eclipse-temurin.  The Amazon images have more recent versions than Eclipse.

A good path forward, in my opinion, would be amazon-correto, version 11.  I've seen a lot of people on the users list running 8.x with Java 11 successfully.

I have successfully run Solr 8.11.2-SNAPSHOT with OpenJDK 17, in standalone mode, but the idea of packaging 8.x docker images with a Java version that new worries me, especially given how complex SolrCloud is.  That's nine major versions after the minimum Java version that 8.x requires.  Maybe it would be fine, but that's a wide version gap.

I can remember something (not sure if it was an issue or a dev list discussion) about packaging Solr 9.x docker images with OpenJDK 17, but I do not know if that was actually done.

Thanks,
Shawn