> I just made a second test task and used the gradle code from the test task
> as building blocks.

This isn't something that is built into the "standard" gradle though and if
you're building upon their internal APIs they do change quite frequently -
I found it quite a burden to keep custom-code operational and in sync. I
also recall Elastic folks (Ryan) going through a similar debate (on whether
to roll out a custom test task or stick to the default one) and the default
one won in that argument.

This said, I agree it's a fun project to poke at gradle internals and see
what's possible. Garage-style tinkering. :)

Dawid