*Rationale*

Over the course of the last decade the way software security is viewed has
changed. Solr has changed significantly over this time too and we have
gained some important security features and fixed a variety of
vulnerabilities. However, I think as a project we have not really developed
a clear vision of what our security goals and use cases are. I have
witnessed a fair bit of variability in the responses to security related
queries, and I think much of the variability comes from conflation among
"good practical advice", "somewhat dated advice" and "varying notions of
supported use cases". We also regularly receive reports to the
secur...@solr.apache.org address that involve investigations into systems
that are not properly secured to begin with or configured to explicitly
allow the dangerous behavior and it's a shame to see security researchers
waste their time on that. Finally, the PMC and set of people subscribed to
secur...@solr.apache.org is a large enough group that incoming mails often
seem to languish in a classic example of nobody having actual specific
responsibility for responding.

*Proposal*
The Solr PMC should appoint from among its members either 3 to 5
individuals to serve as a "security working group" Membership in the
"Security Working Group" requires subscribing to secur...@solr.apache.org,
and a 30 minute conference call once or twice a month. This working group
would have the following goals.

   1. Establish a relationship with someone who's core job function is
   computer security, rather than providing search (I'm hoping the ASF has
   some people who secure their systems that could be a resource). This person
   should be willing to offer a systems security perspective on our goals and
   the security functionality we provide.
   2. Develop a clear statement of the security use cases we would like to
   support, and exposition of some scenarios that are clearly out of scope.
   This results in a proposal to be discussed on the dev list and users list
   and eventually voted on.
   3. Identification of use cases we would like to support that are not yet
   supported, and publicize them to encourage these contributions.
   4. Review of documentation to ensure consistency with our current state
   (security only, perhaps annually?).
   5. Creation of a "security report checklist" that security researchers
   can self apply before they submit reports.
   6. Form letters for consistent response to reports that haven't passed
   the checklist.
   7. Provide consistent and prompt responses to possible
   vulnerabilities reported to secur...@apache.org. Those subscribed to
   secur...@solr.apache.org who are not in the working group should allow
   the working group time to respond before responding themselves.
   8. When asked, offer opinions on  proposed new security features
   regarding consistency with the goals (working group to discuss, return with
   an opinion, always publically and just as a voice in the conversation, not
   as any sort of veto/control, decisions are still up to the list of course).

NON-GOAL: The group is not responsible for fixing security bugs or adding
security features. (nothing stopping them of course, just not the point of
the group, which is a goal setting and consistency oriented group)

*Volunteer*

And to lower the barrier to things started, I volunteer to participate in
this WG for at least a year, and spend up to 2h/week on it. I don't think
any members should be expected to dedicate more than that to it, and
probably many weeks the time required should be less.

*Feedback*

Of course if you think this idea can be tweaked or improved, speak up! The
whole reason this is mailed to the dev list is to get broad feedback so
that we can implement the best improvements possible.

-Gus