I wonder whether this wasn't a casualty of the confusion around our
9.0.0 release.  Gus' other commits were in May 2022 and 9.0.0 came out
in June.  Maybe there was some confusion about which release line
'main' represented at that point, or the backport was forgotten after
waiting out a temporary branch-freeze?

In any case, I agree with you that it looks like an oversight.

Best,

Jason