503 Service Unavailable is the standard response for down or overloaded. I
don’t see that 529 is significantly different.

I do think it is a good idea to distinguish overload or down conditions from
the catch-all 500 error. I interpret that as a broken server, not one that is
functioning properly but overloaded.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org