We are currently blocked from the latest OpenNLP because they moved to newer
Java.

You may be interested in https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/1510 and
https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/1999.

I’d love to see us starting to learn about what impacts Java 17 has.  I suspect
once Lucene 10 starts getting ready, it may encourage us to rush a bit to get
Solr 10 out the door..

> On Jun 4, 2024, at 4:18 AM, Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for starting the topic. Looks like we'll align Solr 10 with Lucene 10,
> so somewhere between now and the release of Lucene 10 we definitely should
> make the same move.
> Our typical concern is if the change causes lots of other code changes that
> makes backporting harder for a prolonged period. That speaks for waiting,
> since our 10.0 release won't be until the end of year anyway.
>
> A good timing for our cutover could be once the Lucene project starts
> preparing for a 10.0 release. We could then switch Solr main to using a
> nighlty lucene main build and start implementing new and changes APIs.
>
> However, if bumping min Java version for main won't cause much fuzz (i.e. we
> could delay doing sweeping codebase changes for new language features), I'm
> not opposed to doing the change sooner.
>
> Jan
>
>> 4. juni 2024 kl. 07:46 skrev sanjay dutt
>> <sanjaydutt.in...@yahoo.com.INVALID>:
>>
>> The purpose of this email thread is to initiate a discussion about upgrading
>> the minimum Java version (Could be same as Lucene minimum Java for main
>> branch i.e. 21) for the main branch. We seek to understand the community's
>> major concerns and gather their guidance on this matter.
>> Regards,Sanjay

Eric Pugh | Founder | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 |
http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> |
My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed
<https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>

This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be
Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether
attachments are marked as such.