note: that PR dependency changelog removal PR did land and our 9.11
Changelog doesn't mention dependencies.
There is one open for main (intended to apply to 10x):
https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/4944



On Thu, Sep 10, 2026 at 9:45 AM David Smiley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Only two of those listed use-cases could be answered by the changelog.  Most 
> weren't *change* oriented but the changelog is about changes.  This 
> reinforces to me that we should do what I proposed -- DROP the solrbot driven 
> changes.  Don't burden the RM with deriving a list of all dependencies that 
> *changed*.  If someone *really* wants to know... I would advise them not to 
> trust our changelog for such a thing anyway -- not unless we have an 
> automated solution.
>
> And you had non-changelog answers for the *change* ones:
> > “I am aware of this CVE in this dependency of Solr, did it get fixed” —> 
> > Consult our VEX entries for that dependency and the version of Solr 
> > concerned.
> >  “I use a specific module of Solr, what does that drag along”.  —> Maybe an 
> > SBOM for Solr itself?
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2026 at 7:45 AM Eric Pugh <[email protected]> 
> wrote:
>>
>> I lean towards the manual (AI assisted) cleanup approach.   There are too 
>> many people working across a long release cycle with differing opinions on 
>> what is changelog worthy to get it to an automated process that drives a lot 
>> of value.
>>
>> I am also wondering more and more if the changelog is the right way to 
>> convey dependency changes?   It really quickly becomes a big list of many 
>> unknown libraries.  I think we need to look at it more from “What do people 
>> want to know” in order to understand best way to answer it.  For example:
>>
>> “I use SolrJ, what do I need to do to upgrade to the next version”. —> List 
>> of SolrJ required dependencies in the Ref Guide.
>>
>> “I use Solr slim bistro, I really care about specific changes”. —> Maybe we 
>> should be using a SBOM for this use case?  “This is what we actually ship in 
>> Solr binary”.
>>
>> “I use a specific module of Solr, what does that drag along”.  —> Maybe an 
>> SBOM for Solr itself?
>>
>> “I am aware of this CVE in this dependency of Solr, did it get fixed” —> 
>> Consult our VEX entries for that dependency and the version of Solr 
>> concerned.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Sep 10, 2026, at 2:49 AM, Jan Høydahl <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks for bringing it to the list, we already started discussing this 
>> > topic on some solrbot PRs.
>> >
>> > Surprised the wizard still proposes a py script, as it would be 
>> > duplicating entries already filed by solrbot on each patch.
>> > And you are correct that, when so much time passes between releases, there 
>> > will be solrbot duplicates, or triple or quadruple entries for the same 
>> > dependency.
>> >
>> > A better process is needed, but may I suggest a manual (AI assisted) 
>> > cleanup for the upcoming release, where you prune duplicates and fix 
>> > nonsense titles like the below example. Like back when we had CHANGES.txt 
>> > I always fixed it up, removing duplicates or dead meat, rewriting some 
>> > entries etc.
>> >
>> > Then this thread may hopefully decide an improved process going forward.
>> > Good point though on the shipped vs non-shipped distinction, a test-only 
>> > or build-only dependency is obviously not that interesting for a changelog.
>> >
>> > Jan
>> >
>> > > 10. sep. 2026 kl. 04:10 skrev David Smiley <[email protected]>:
>> > >
>> > > Not only does that script generate a bunch of changelog yaml, but we
>> > > already have lots of existing ones. I wish to remove them:
>> > > https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/4895 
>> > > <https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/4895>
>> > >
>> > > On Wed, Sep 9, 2026 at 9:59 PM David Smiley <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > >
>> > >> (I'm writing this in the context of being the release manager for 9.11)
>> > >>
>> > >> It's unclear how I should handle changelogs for dependencies. If I
>> > >> blindly follow the release wizard like a robot, it runs:
>> > >> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/addDepsToChanges.py --user solrbot
>> > >> --version 9.11.0
>> > >> Which in turn uses "git log" to find all commits by "solrbot" and 
>> > >> converts
>> > >> that commit to a yaml entry. After lots of months, there are *many* yaml
>> > >> files. Many look expected / boring. But then there are some interesting
>> > >> entries such as the following:
>> > >>
>> > >> title: Update all non-major dependencies
>> > >>> type: dependency_update
>> > >>> authors:
>> > >>> - name: solrbot
>> > >>> links:
>> > >>> - name: PR#4597
>> > >>> url: https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/4597 
>> > >>> <https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/4597>
>> > >>>
>> > >>
>> > >> I *love* that it was one PR for many dependencies instead of a shotgun 
>> > >> of
>> > >> commits! But it doesn't even say what it updated exactly; sigh. Imaging
>> > >> searching git log message to find an update and not getting a hit here;
>> > >> ouch! An earlier bulk dependency update at least had a detailed commit
>> > >> message. Now consider that there are other many other solrbot individual
>> > >> updates... which begs the question: how is this to be mixed with those?
>> > >> If I ignore this problem as RM, we have a mismash of partial 
>> > >> information.
>> > >>
>> > >> I propose dropping "solrbot" authored changelog entries entirely. Drop
>> > >> this step in the release wizard, drop that python script. The changelog
>> > >> *does* have dependency updates that were interesting enough to be done 
>> > >> by
>> > >> (or on behalf of) a named human.
>> > >>
>> > >> I'm in favor of someday maybe adding a single changelog entry per 
>> > >> release
>> > >> with a compact list of dependencies that were updated, filtered to those
>> > >> that we actually ship in a binary distribution. But IMO not a priority.
>> > >>
>> > >> ~ David Smiley
>> > >> Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
>> > >> http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley 
>> > >> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley>
>> > >>
>> >
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
>> > For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]
>>
>> Disclaimer
>>
>> The information contained in this communication from the sender is 
>> confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others 
>> authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby 
>> notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in 
>> relation of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may 
>> be unlawful.
>>
>> This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been 
>> automatically archived by Mimecast, a leader in email security and cyber 
>> resilience. Mimecast integrates email defenses with brand protection, 
>> security awareness training, web security, compliance and other essential 
>> capabilities. Mimecast helps protect large and small organizations from 
>> malicious activity, human error and technology failure; and to lead the 
>> movement toward building a more resilient world. To find out more, visit our 
>> website.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email protected]

Reply via email to