For the past two weeks I've been dreading the first of the month…. Well 
dreading, but also super curious.   How many PR’s will Solrbot open?   What new 
challenging dependency upgrades will we have to tackle?  Will it ever end.

I just rewatched Pacific Rim with the teen, and the challenges of fighting of 
the Kaiju are somewhat similar to the challenges of fighting off dependency 
upgrades.   Dealing with dependency updates is a “must do” thing, not a “yay, 
this is fun” thing.

So, last night the breach between our nice stable up to date Solr and the rest 
of the software ecosystem opened up again (thanks Solrbot and Jan’s hard work!) 
and the dependencies came marching through.   Every few minutes another PR 
popped open….  Boom boom boom, 17 brand new PRs that someone has to deal with.  
 

At first I was a bit bummed…. I thought it might be just a few PRs after all 
the hardworking we’ve done to catch up on dependencies.   But then I thought 
about the “We are cancelling the apocalypse” speech that the given in the movie 
(https://johnjronline.wordpress.com/2021/04/08/pacific-rim-2013-we-are-canceling-the-apocalypse-scene-9-10-movieclips/)
 and I thought….  What can I learn from that movie?

One thing is that our dependency updates are sometimes easy to deal with and 
other times really challenging.   In Pacific Rim, the Kaiju come in different 
“categories” from an easy Category 1 to a terrifying Category 5 (and up!)….   
Wouldn’t it be nice to categorize our dependency updates so we know how much 
thinking is needed for each one?

Likewise, by naming the individual Kaiju, it makes it easier to refer to them, 
understand their specific characteristics (can they fly, do they have acid 
breathe, etc).   Maybe we can name our Dependency updates as well?  We kind of 
almost do that with the grouping logic that Solrbot uses anyway.

Plus, honestly, how can I make dependency management more fun?

So, with that long preamble, here are this month’s Breach Report: 
https://claude.ai/artifact/HxtVJmaE3wcExeptY7yLgW?sk=HG4tZy6ogQKaewKqcEPvWg

Cat Name         PR Title
V   Slattern     Revamp Solr Extraction Module to work with Tika 4
IV  Otachi       Update Jersey jetty-http to v3 (branch_9x)
III Knifehead    Update all non-major dependencies
III Yamarashi    Update gRPC and Netty
III Atticon      Update Web server stack to v12.1.13
II  Raythe       Update Telemetry (OpenTelemetry & Prometheus)
II  Clawhook     Update AWS SDK to v2.55.6
II  Onibaba      Update Jackson BOM to v2.22.3
II  Androc       Update Google Cloud
II  Itak         Update Logging to v2.0.20
II  Ragnarok     Update ZooKeeper & Curator to v3.9.6
II  Crusherbone  Update Jackson BOM to v2.22.3 (branch_9x)
I   Hardship     Update Avatica-core to v1.29.0
I   Hammerjaw    Update Admin UI
I   Ceptid       Update Okio to v3.18.2
I   Tengu        Update GitHub Actions
I   Karloff      Update GitHub Actions (branch_9x)
I   Erupture     Update all non-major test dependencies (branch_9x)

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is 
confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others 
authorized to receive it. If you are not the recipient, you are hereby notified 
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking action in relation of the 
contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This email has been scanned for viruses and malware, and may have been 
automatically archived by Mimecast, a leader in email security and cyber 
resilience. Mimecast integrates email defenses with brand protection, security 
awareness training, web security, compliance and other essential capabilities. 
Mimecast helps protect large and small organizations from malicious activity, 
human error and technology failure; and to lead the movement toward building a 
more resilient world. To find out more, visit our website.

Reply via email to