The alternative is for Spark to not explicitly include hadoop_client,
perhaps only as "provided", and provide a facility to insert the
hadoop client jars of your choice at packaging time.   Unfortunately,
hadoop_client pulls in a ton of other deps, so it's not as simple as
copying one extra jar into dist/jars.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM, Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Nathan,
>
> I don't think this would be possible because there are at least dozens
> of permutations of Hadoop versions (different vendor distros X
> different versions X YARN vs not YARN, etc) and maybe hundreds. So
> publishing new artifacts for each would be really difficult.
>
> What is the exact problem you ran into? Maybe we need to improve the
> documentation to make it more clear how to correctly link against
> spark/hadoop for user applications. Basically the model we have now is
> users link against Spark and then link against the hadoop-client
> relevant to their version of Hadoop.
>
> - Patrick
>
> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Nathan Kronenfeld
> <nkronenf...@oculusinfo.com> wrote:
>> After just spending a couple days fighting with a new spark installation,
>> getting spark and hadoop version numbers matching everywhere, I have a
>> suggestion I'd like to put out there.
>>
>> Can we put the hadoop version against which the spark jars were built into
>> the version number?
>>
>> I noticed that the Cloudera maven repo has started to do this (
>> https://repository.cloudera.com/artifactory/cloudera-repos/org/apache/spark/spark-core_2.10/)
>> - sadly, though, only with the cdh5.x versions, not with the 4.x versions
>> for which they also have spark parcels.  But I see no signs of it in the
>> central maven repo.
>>
>> Is this already done in some other repo about which I don't know, perhaps?
>>
>> I know it would save us a lot of time and grief simply to be able to point
>> a project we build at the right version, and not have to rebuild and deploy
>> spark manually.
>>
>> --
>> Nathan Kronenfeld
>> Senior Visualization Developer