Hey all,

Definitely agreed this would be nice! In our own work we've done element-wise
addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication of similarly partitioned
matrices very efficiently with zipping. We've also done matrix-matrix
multiplication with zipping, but that only works in certain circumstances, and
it's otherwise very communication intensive (as Shivaram says). Another tricky
thing with addition / subtraction is how to handle sparse vs. dense arrays.

Would be happy to contribute anything we did, but definitely first worth
knowing what progress has been made from the AMPLab.

-- Jeremy

jeremy freeman, phd
neuroscientist
@thefreemanlab