Sorry for my late reply! I'm also very interested in the
implementation of distributed matrix multiplication. As Shivaram
mentioned, the communication is the concern here. But maybe we can
start with a reasonable implementation and then iterate on its
performance. It would be great if eventually we can implement an
algorithm close to the 2.5D algorithm
(http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lawnspdf/lawn248.pdf).

I created two JIRAs for this topic:

1. Distributed block matrix: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-3434
2. Distributed matrix multiplication:

We can move our discussion there.

Rong, I'm really happy to see the Saury project. It would be great if
you can share your design and experience (maybe on the JIRA page so it
is easier to track). I will read the reports on CSDN and ping you if I
ran into problems. Thanks!

Best,
Xiangrui