What has worked for me is to bundle log4j.properties in the root of
the application's .jar file, since log4j will look for it there, and
configuring log4j will turn off Spark's default log4j configuration.

I don't think conf/log4j.properties is going to do anything by itself,
but -Dlog4j.configuration=/path/to/file should cause it read a config
file on the file system.

But for messing with a local build of Spark, just edit
core/src/main/resources/org/apache/spark/log4j-defaults.properties and
rebuild.

Yes I think your syntax is OK; here's some of mine where I turn off a
bunch of INFO messages:

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, stdout
log4j.appender.stdout.Target=System.out
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} %-5p %c{1}:%L %m%n
log4j.logger.org.apache.hadoop=WARN
log4j.logger.org.apache.kafka=WARN
log4j.logger.kafka=WARN
log4j.logger.akka=WARN
log4j.logger.org.apache.spark=WARN
log4j.logger.org.apache.spark.storage.BlockManager=ERROR
log4j.logger.org.apache.zookeeper=WARN
log4j.logger.org.eclipse.jetty=WARN
log4j.logger.org.I0Itec.zkclient=WARN