100 max width seems very restrictive to me.

even the most restrictive environment i have for development (ssh with
emacs) i get a lot more characters to work with than that.

personally i find the code harder to read, not easier. like i kept
wondering why there are weird newlines in the
middle of constructors and such, only to realise later it was because of
the 100 character limit.

also, i find "mvn package" erroring out because of style errors somewhat
excessive. i understand that a pull request needs to conform to "the style"
before being accepted, but this means i cant even run tests on code that
does not conform to the style guide, which is a bit silly.

i keep going out for coffee while package and tests run, only to come back
for an annoying error that my line is 101 characters and therefore nothing
ran.

is there some maven switch to disable the style checks?

best! koert