I know this is all very subjective, but I find long lines difficult to read.

I also like how 100 characters fit in my editor setup fine (split wide
screen), while a longer line length would mean I can't have two
buffers side-by-side without horizontal scrollbars.

I think it's fine to add a switch to skip the style tests, but then,
you'll still have to fix the issues at some point...

--
Marcelo