Can you please briefly explain why packaging is necessary. I thought
packaging would only build the jar and place it in the target folder.
How does that affect the tests? If tests depend on the assembly a "mvn
install" would be more sensible to me.
Probably I misunderstand the maven build life-cycle.

Thanks,
Niklas