PMC [1] is responsible for oversight and does not designate partial or full
committer. There are projects where all committers become PMC and others
where PMC is reserved for committers with the most merit (and willingness
to take on the responsibility of project oversight, releases, etc...).
Community maintains the codebase through committers. Committers to mentor,
roll in patches, and spread the project throughout other communities.

Adding someone's name to a list as a "maintainer" is not a barrier. With a
community as large as Spark's, and myself not being a committer on this
project, I see it as a welcome opportunity to find a mentor in the areas in
which I'm interested in contributing. We'd expect the list of names to grow
as more volunteers gain more interest, correct? To me, that seems quite
contrary to a "barrier".

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html