Hey Stephen,

Thanks for bringing this up. Technically when we call a release vote
it needs to be on the exact commit that will be the final release.
However, one thing I've thought of doing for a while would be to
publish the maven artifacts using a version tag with $VERSION-rcX even
if the underlying commit has $VERSION in the pom files. Some recent
changes I've made to the way we do publishing in branch 1.2 should
make this pretty easy - it wasn't very easy before because we used
maven's publishing plugin which makes modifying the published version
tricky. Our current approach is, indeed, problematic because maven
artifacts are supposed to be immutable once they have a specific
version identifier.

I created SPARK-4568 to track this:

- Patrick